Monday, March 03, 2008

John Maeda advice

I recently came across John Maeda's blog where he gives advice about design:


I gave a talk at Parsons School for Design in New York City last week, and the school kindly put me up in an old hotel in Washington Square. After I got off the elevator, I was immediately confronted with the skinniest hallway I had ever seen. Entering my actual room, I was surprised at how spacious it was because the ultraslim hallway had signaled to me that I might need to be prepared to assume the Munchkin position in my room.

This experience reminded me of the three C's I try to teach my students as the three core principles of design:

Content: There needs to be a message or meaning. Everything needs a reason to exist, otherwise it shouldn't.
Context: Content doesn't live in a vacuum. A Chanel bag sitting on a shelf at Wal-Mart will only confuse.
Contrast: An element is made stronger when a counterelement is offered. Salt tastes saltier after one has had some sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home